18 June 2007

1 October 2006 - From Merida to San Cristobal

Typical street in San Cristobal

The last few hours in Merida, a nice city with great history, architecture and small markets of Mayan art, happy people dancing salsa on the streets and bands playing live music all through the night...
Alit and I spent two days here in an amazing hotel which used to be an old Colonial building with magical corridors and an internal court yard with a fountain. We said it’s worth to come all the way to Merida just to enjoy this enchanted place! So for those who are planning to reach Mexico one day... write it down: hotel Trinidad!
This evening she will get on the bus to take her back to Cancun and then home and I will get on the bus to San Cristobal, which is a 13 hours ride (ouch...). After all the songs on my iPod, which I picked carefully before going on the trip, got erased by a vicious computer, I’m not looking forward to this ride AT ALL, because there will be nothing to do but sleep, and you know how I just LOVE sleeping on buses and airplanes...
San Cristobal is closer to Guatemala and is supposed to be a fascinating place. This will be my first stop on my alone-travel adventure. I’m a bit nervous, of course, but I hope to meet people on the bus or when I get to the city to travel together with.
The days in Isla Mujeres showed me how easy it can be when you just find the main hang out places. All in all, everyone is keen on meeting new people and traveling together with them and I sure didn’t invent the traveling alone concept :)
So now I’m leaving the Yukatan County and my next words will be from the Chiapas County, which is right on the border with Guatemala, and the poorest area in Mexico – but said to be the most authentic one - and I will be there - all by myself...

No comments: